[oxfordgamers] Re: gaming jones...

  I think I would disagree and say he takes on many, if not all the
qualities. If he becomes a balloon, he floats, if he becomes a jackhammer,
he can break up pavement and so forth. That is more than just warping the
external shape.
                        John

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Steve Mollett wrote:

> >There's also NO way using GURPS Supers rules to
> create Plastic Man. Changing into inanimate objects doesn't exist,
> unless, again, you buy each form using the Multiple Forms advantage.
>
> I don't know about that. Plastic man only warps his shape; he doesn't take on
> the full qualities of the forms he takes. I do believe there's a "self
> manipulation" (no X-rated jokes here) ability somewhere in GURPS, or suchlike.
>
> Actually, I DID create Metamorpho with 700 points, though I'd have to find
> the sheet to recount exactly how.  For elemental transformation I know I gave
> him alter matter; limitation: self only.
>
> Aaron Einhorn <desire_endless@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Although, once again, the system breaks down depending on how efficient
> you are, and what you want to do.
>
> Example: I tried to create the Wasp. Not a terribly powerful character,
> she can shrink, can fly, and can zap people (with a not terribly
> damaging blast).
>
> Guess how much she costs? That's right. Over 700 points. Does the Wasp
> really seem like a Cosmic to you?
>
> And for goodness sake, don't EVER try to create multiple limbs with
> extra long reach and super strength. A certain Austrian physicist is,
> fortunately, an NPC, since he cost OVER 1,000.
>
> By the same token, a 500 point telekinetic can be frighteningly
> powerful on a cosmic scale. Is anyone familiar with the character "The
> Great and Powerful Turtle" from the Wild Cards books? He's got one
> power. Telekinesis. And it's not instantaneous, he has to concentrate
> on it. He flies around in an armored shell, roughly the size of a
> Buick. You could build the base of it with real world technology, and
> then handle the remainder as a Gadget. He has few "real world" skills,
> some business, and some mechanics. He has an Ally, who is a 75 point
> character at most. And then he has roughly 350 points in Telekinesis.
> Assuming his IQ is 14, and he takes his TK skill up to -21 (which is
> about right), this gives him a TK power of around 60. This turns into a
> ST of 460. For the record, my Cosmic Strong guy has a ST of 200.
>
> I'm estimating, but the point is that efficiency in character design
> makes a whole lotta difference. Using Power Groups makes characters
> vastly different too. Rebound wouldn't be a Cape & Mask otherwise.
>
> Another good example is shape changing. Until I stroke of lucked across
> a spell, which can be turned into a Knack, there was NO way to do the
> "I can transform into animals" character, who, let's be honest, is a
> Cape & Mask level character at their core. But it wasn't possible using
> the Multiple Forms advantage, without spending thousands, and thousands
> of character points. There's also NO way using GURPS Supers rules to
> create Plastic Man. Changing into inanimate objects doesn't exist,
> unless, again, you buy each form using the Multiple Forms advantage.
>
> Sorry, I'm ranting. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that points
> [...]

Sir, say no more,
Within me 'tis as if
The green and climbing eyesight of a cat
Crawled near my mind's poor birds.

                        Trumbull Stickney(1874-1904)