  From: oxfordgamers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oxfordgamers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bolenbaugh, Tom
  Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 4:21 PM
  To: 'oxfordgamers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
  Subject: [oxfordgamers] Re: Another comic movie question

  To play devil's advocate:

          We did not see Wolverine's origin in X-Men, nor did we see the
origin of the team or anyone else except Rogue and Magneto, and those were
very brief.  Yet you can't say that people didn't feel a connection to
Logan's character.  This came from the amount of time we saw of Logan
outside of being an X-Man, but not from his origin story.

          Nightcrawler in X-Men 2 was very popular and we only heard mention
of his origin, Storm was a much more interesting character in X2 and we
learned nothing of her origin in either movie.  Where we do see origins in
X-Men, they are very brief and not an in depth portion of the movie.

          X-Men shows that you can have people bond with characters without
devoting much time, if any, to the character's origin.  Wouldn't it be
possible to do the same with other heroes as well?  Tell the origin of the
Fantastic Four in a one minute flashback, or only make brief allusions to it
in conversation.  Make it a mystery and hint that the sequel might explore
that origin, but make the focus of the first movie be something different.