[oxfordgamers] Re: Ang Lee and Hulk

Ang Lee and Hulk
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Chambers

  ...but the CG Hulk was kewl.

  Ted tells me that there is a bootleg work print of the film floating around
that does not contain any of the Hulk CG. I think it's called "Solaris".
[insert rim-shot]

    (Chuckle)

    And not totally unwarranted: Me brother tells me that the guy sitting next
to him was snoring after 40 minutes.

    Although I saw it on Friday with Mike and Lynn, I'd previously promised my
bro I'd see it with him, so I had to see it again today. Luckily, as I was now
familiar with the film's flaws and shortcomings, I found myself concentrating
more on the its merits, some of which are quite considerable, if not enough to
actually save it.

    On the second viewing, what's really clear is that Bana needed to go.
*Bad*. He doesn't single-handedly kill the movie (as there are other
significant flaws in how its conceived and implemented), but he clearly went
above and beyond the call of duty in tanking it. I can't help thinking that the
first act might not have been quite as excruciating if someone even remotely
interesting had been cast as the lead.

    The other thing that's clear is that, aside from a few nice nuances here
and there (an interesting visual flourish involving lightning near the end... a
free-fall fantasy...) Ang Lee is clearly not particularly inspired with his use
or presentation of the Hulk. And you can tell when he's inspired: The"secret
trauma" at the heart of Bruce Banner is revealed in a piece of legitimately
powerful filmmaking that creates a haunting spell of tragic revelation, despite
the fact that it is actually a foregone conclusion. It's a marvelously executed
beat, which Lee directs the hell out of it and Nolte performs just right.
Nothing else in the film comes close to it and that's the real shame: If the
rest of the film had performed at that level of insight and resonance, it would
probably have been the best comic book move ever. Instead, it's mildly
schizophrenic in both tone and style, and looks like two halves of two wildly
different movies.

    And that ending still makes no bloody sense. On many levels.

    Still, if a comic book movie has to fail, I far prefer it fail like this;
aiming for the stars and trying to stretch the boundaries of the genre. It
didn't succeed, but it is a failure that, for me at least, is at times almost
heroic.

    -Ted