[overture] Re: Building v24 on Blue Gene P

  • From: "J. P. Bernstein" <astro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 19:58:37 -0600

Hello Bill,

Thank you and Kyle for the quick replies to my emails.

Warning headed. I am on assignment from the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF) on this effort. There is significant interest at ALCF to at least run the CG solvers on BGP (not necessarily ogen). Nevertheless, I will share your sentiment with my assigners.

A question about the perl situation: my initial assessment suggested to me that perl was needed only for configuring the build and running the tests. Since perl is available on the front end, the configuration part should work. Part of my assignment is converting the perl test scripts to, e.g., python. However, your message below makes me doubt my assessment. Are the perl libs, which, as you know, are not available on the back end, needed at run time beyond the test scripts?

Best,

Joe

On 3/2/2012 6:08 PM, Bill Henshaw wrote:
Hi Joe,
At one time I did get Overture compiled on the BGP front end at ANL with xlc but I was left with the issue that the perl libraries were not available with BGP. We could work around
this if necessary but I prefer not too if possible.

That said, experience tells me that since we have not run Overture on BGP then you are likely to have problems that will be very hard for you to fix. Therefore this is just a warning
that the path you are on may lead to great misery and despair ...

...Bill

J. P. Bernstein wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to build Overture.v24 on Blue Gene P (BG/P).
In an attempt to add a BG/P configuration for A++, I looked for the following config file mentioned in the A++ README file:
A++/config/config.options
but was not able to find the file or the directory mentioned in the A++ directory tree.

I was able to build A++ without errors with the following configure command:

./configure --with-CC=mpixlc_r --with-CFLAGS="-qarch=450d -qtune=450" --with-CXX=mpixlcxx_r --with-CXXFLAGS="-qarch=450d -qtune=450" --prefix=`pwd`

However, the flags did not seem to be passed:

mpixlc_r -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../../include -c `test -f common_func.c || echo './'`common_func.c

mpixlcxx_r -o resize resize.o -L/home/jpbernst/Code/Overture/A++P++-0.8.0/A++/install/lib -L../src -lApp -lApp_static -lApp -lm

Is this a known issue?

Returning to the BG/P config issue, I tried to hack :

config/A++P++_common_autoconfig.m4
config.sub

in order to add a Bg/P setup without success. Is there documentation available for adding a machine config? I was not able to find any on the Overture webpage.

Best,

Joe Bernstein