From: otc-wt-admin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:otc-wt-admin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Craig Lasher
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:20 AM
To: otc-wt-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [otc-wt-admin] Re: OTC Musical Repertoire

Yes – Thanks to Mike and everyone who has been participating in the discussion.
 I think that Mike has summarized very well the thoughts expressed.  I would
like to weigh in on a few things.

1.      We are truly blessed to have so many, in such a small congregation, who
are gifted and skilled musicians and vocalists – Praise to the Father!
2.      We are a Messianic Congregation.  We exist in order, not only to
provide a home for Jewish believers who want to maintain their Jewishness and
for Gentiles who want to grow in their understanding of how the Old and New
Covenant Scriptures are masterfully intertwined, but also to reach out to
Jewish people to come to a saving knowledge of Yeshua.  To that end, we
primarily do songs that focus on O.T. prophecy and God’s attributes outlined
for us in the Psalms.  Even though there is a plethora of Christian songs that
are both worshipful and theologically accurate, we need to base our song
selection primarily on our core values, which include the Jewishness of the
Gospel message, revealed by God through Jewish prophets, and the Jewishness of
Messiah.  As a result, while our love for some of the great Christian choruses
and hymns compels us to do them, we limit their placement in our orders of
service.  Because we try to strike this balance, many who are primarily seeking
a congregation where their desires and preferences are met, think we are too
Jewish while others have said we are not Jewish enough.  Our call is to exalt
Yeshua as the Jewish Messiah who came to save all sinners – Jew and Gentile
alike.  So... we eat latkes and Christmas cookies.
3.      I hope every member of the team senses a freedom to express ideas and
opinions.  It is important to be able to do so and I totally understand that
there may be some level of confusion regarding what kind of songs to introduce,
and a reluctance to suggest a song that may be rejected.  It may be helpful if
we imagine a continuum with pure Jewish liturgy at one end and Christian speed
metal at the other, I would think that if we keep in mind the context in which
OTC exists, then we will have a clearer sense of where we belong on that
continuum, and be able to explain why a particular song we may want to
introduce, fits our unique place in the body, while at the same time, keeping
our personal musical preferences out of the equation.
4.      If the Lord brings woodwind, string, or accordion players to the team,
we may actually be able to add some more klezmer sounds to the songs we do.

Love you all,

Craig