[otc-wt-admin] Re: OTC Musical Repertoire

Thanks to everybody for the spirited discussion.  Below is a listing - in no
particular order - of what I'm hearing from the discussion so far that can
be used to provide some formal structure around our worship selection
strategy:

I invite you all to:
        Let me know if I've missed anything you've said
        Let me know if I've mischaracterized something you've said
        Share ideas that occur to you when considering what others have said
        Add new thoughts that expand our current discussion

Here's the list:
A) Our OTC worship song selection is currently very good.
B) Appropriate musical disciplines to draw from include (in roughly
decreasing order of priority):
        Messianic music (relatively recent tunes focusing on the Jewishness
and Old Covenant roots of faith in Yeshua)
        Contemporary Christian music (relatively recent tunes focusing on
New Covenant texts, appreciated for musical creativeness, sometimes
criticized for low theological/scriptural content)
        Classic hymns (relatively much older songs, generally appreciated
for theological purity, sometimes criticized for musical repetitiveness)
        Jazz-influenced (Lion of the Tribe of Judah, for example)
        Klezmer (musical tradition of Ashkenazic Jews of Eastern Europe,
commonly utilizing violin, accordion, and clarinet music)
C) Other musical disciplines fail to meet the "Jewish sensibility of our
worship" criterion expressed on OTCs website
D) It may be valuable to have access to some information about how many of
which kinds of songs have been historically played
E) It may be valuable to consider if a classic hymn could be updated to make
it more musically interesting to OTC attenders, with an intent to make the
meaning of the song more apparent and impactful
F) Some hymns are so well known that attempts to make changes cause
confusion among worshippers who know the original
G) Musical selection should not be done in an automated fashion driven by
strict formulas of proportions of different musical styles, but should be
done in a Spirit-led way
H) Inappropriateness of a particular musical style for OTC's worship doesn't
necessarily mean that it has no appropriate use, or that it couldn't be
legitimately be used in other worship venues other than OTC.
I) Music selection should weigh the musical sensitivities of a broad
demographic range of attenders:
        Unsaved Jews (who may have encounter difficulty with songs
associated with mainline Christianity)
        Unsaved Gentiles (who may struggle to engage with songs that have
heavy quantities of Hebrew)
        Saved Jews (who want to worship in ways that glorify God while
honoring their Jewish heritage)
        Saved Gentiles (who want to grow in their understanding of Yeshua's
Jewishness while not losing access to their own musical traditions)
J) The salvation of Unsaved Jews is a primary focus of OTC's efforts in our
community, and our worship should reflect culturally Jewish worship as its
dominant characteristic
K) Music selection should weigh the competing emphases of:
        Scriptural accuracy - in intent, if not necessarily in exact
phrasing
        Culturally Jewish worship setting reflective of the Jewishness of
faith in Yeshua
        Congregational-friendliness - can the congregation sing the song?
L) We should be on guard for spiritual attacks that would seek to disrupt
our efforts to honor God by creating divisiveness in our team