[OGD] Re: phalaenopsis / flies pollinating in a growing room ?

It should be noted that common houseflies, blowflies, and others will "trip"
hybrid Phalaenopsis flowers without removal of pollinaria.  The flies appear to
feed on the sticky surfaces of the pollinaria and stigma, but I have never
observed the removal of pollinaria by the flies.   This tripping causes the
flower to respond almost immediately with folding and reduction of turgidity in
petals and sepals.   The news report is just another example of casual
journalistic presumptiveness about insects and flowers.

paul

Consider the environment before sending electronic messages powered by coal.

I am mobile; sent from my iPad.