[OGD] Re: orchids Digest V3 #275

Helga, I wondered about that too.  But times change and laws change and legal
presidents change.  I was interested to see this on Wikipedia about defending
databases: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_right

The article mentions OrchidWiz's position that a database is static information
- as in the phone company's phone book - so use isn't protected.  It also
mentions that a database that has a creative component to it is protected. It
also mentions that database protection is different in the Europen Union, which
protects even static databases.  So it would appear that the RHS is trying to
protect its List of Hybrid Registry and the AOS is trying to protect its
creative award database.

Speaking merely for myself to me the sticking point is OrchidWiz's request to
license in perpetuity.  Even copyright laws aren't written for perpetuity.
When I allowed my photos to be published in OW I signed an agreement to license
them in perpetuity and even I - dolt that I am - stumbled over that notion.  In
perpetuity?  No matter what form their use may take in the future?  Did I want
to do that?  Then I realized that my images were essentially crap and so who'd
give a sh*t?  So I signed.  But teh RHS hybrid registry or the AOS award
database, well, that's a little different than my out of focus images.

Just sayin'

But I'm not a Trustee.  I'm not in the RHS.  I have no idea what's been said
behind closed doors.  All I know is I use OW more than the AQ+.  To me they are
different products to be used for very different reasons.

K Barrett - NCalif - USA