[OGD] Re: orchids Digest V3 #114

>From: K Barrett <orchidtrekker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Many thanks to Wendy for her excellent comments about fire or smoke
>triggering flowering in terrestrials.  I vaguely recall a study
>trying to replicate that effect in a lab.  I don't recall the
>results, if they were successful or not.

this isn't a report of lab results, but I was told that in the albany
pine bush which has some rare plants, liquid smoke used for
barbecuing flavor was successfully used to trigger plant growth and
flowering. exact info isn't available from me at this time since it
was a few years back but it's a nature conservancy site and some
state (ny) botanists were involved if that's helpful. instead of
burning the area since there are housing complexes all around, they
chipped the local vegetation and brush hogged it, then applied the
liquid smoke

--
charles ufford
oriskany, ny usa