[OGD] Re: orchids Digest V1 #20

Please, please remove me from your mailing list!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: orchids@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: orchids digest users <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:04 pm
Subject: orchids Digest V1 #20

orchids Digest  Wed, 29 Oct 2008    Volume: 01  Issue: 020

In This Issue:
        Hoosier's auctions
        Anoectochilus

From: "Gareth Wills" <gwills13@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Hoosier's auctions
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:20:25 -0400

Now that Hoosier has brought their price of the plants down to more
auction-like prices per plant  take a look at their terms before you go
any
further.
First - The plants represented by these lists are sold on an "AS IS"
"WHERE
IS" basis.  Hoosier Orchid Company has the discretion to accept or
reject
any offer to purchase.   Hoosier Orchid Company (the seller)
specifically
disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, including but not
limited
to, of the health, viability, merchantability, or fitness of these
plants
for any particular purpose.  The seller makes no warranty, expressed or
implied, as to the future health, growth, or productivity of any of
these
plants.  The seller makes no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the
correct naming or labeling of any of these plants.
There's no warranty on the health or viability of the plants?  And they
can't warranty the name of the plant? If that's ok with you,
something's a
little loose.
There is a $300 minimum. They will accept payment in cash, check, bank
draft
or credit card.  Note that they will charge a 1.75% premium for credit
card
payment. Charging you for using your credit card? Ok but that's the way
the
world runs now.
Shipping will be charged at actual cost. But for handling, they will
change
an hourly packing fee of $25.00 per hour (actual packing time, does not
reflect any time to pull the plants), and box charges of $25.00 per
large
box, $15.00 per medium box, and $7.50 per small box.  Once they pull
your
plants they will be able to estimate the number and size of boxes.
Let's face it, if you're buying $300 worth of plants, you're not going
squeeze them into a small box or probably even a medium one. And they're
probably going to take more than an hour to wrap and pack 15 plants or
so if
they're doing it carefully. If you've never sent plants before you have
no
idea how long it can take. And if you're being paid by the hour what's
the
incentive to hurry?
I have no problems with Hoosier or with the Rhodehamels. I wish them the
best once this is over. I know what it's like to see the business you've
worked so hard  to create for many years come crashing down at your
feet.
And the auction process is grueling especially if you're having some
other
company do it for you and all you can do is watch. I am just referring
the auction here, not the company or people. I find the above conditions
atrocious. And if that plant you've been looking for shows up at a
wonderful
price, just remember that that's the price on top of the ridiculous $50
base
charge you're being slapped with. And I'd be particularly insulted if I
were
a long-time customer and sorry to see the company go, so I'm going to
help
them by buying some of those plants I've been waiting for. Even though
$300
is a pinch at this time. Wait!, that's $350. No, extra boxes and
overtime
$420. Plus actual shipping $480. That's a lot of 'sorry' you're paying
for.
And you're not even guaranteed that the plants are healthy and have the
correct name tag. I think my money can go to a surviving company who
will
back my purchase.

------------------------------

From: IrisCohen@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:25:22 EDT
Subject: Anoectochilus

I just acquired Anct. chapaensis, a very lovely species. It has been
around
since 1931, but there are no AOS awards. From what I have gleaned, it
shouldn't
be that difficult to grow. Is there something I should know? Has it
been
awarded overseas?
Iris

Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel.  Check out Today's
Hot 5 Travel Deals!
(http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

End of orchids Digest V1 #20