[OGD] created to honour (Malaysia)

"at the Malaysian Agricultural Research and Development Institute (Mardi)
at Universiti Putra Malaysia.
... orchid hybrids... created [named] by Mardi to honour Malaysia's members
of royalty, statesmen, dignitaries and their spouses.

The institute's deputy director and senior principal research officer,
Fadelah Abdul Aziz, said they had been introducing new orchid hybrids for
more than two decades...

"All the hybrids which we have created are with Mardi and [registrations]
have been sent to the International Registration Authority of Orchid
Hybrids for registration.

"The institute created its first orchid hybrid more than 20 years ago and
it was named after Mardi itself.
"We do have many hybrids in our collection that have yet to be named.

"To date, Mardi has created some 2,000 to 3,000 orchid hybrids of the
various genus [genera] using mother plants from the Malaysian jungles,
Thailand, Indonesia and Australia."

The Siti Hasmah hybrid is a cross between two different orchid genera,
Aranda Christine "Alba" and Vanda Boom Mark Gold.

For the Norainee Abdul Rahman hybrid, the institute used the female parent
Mokara Khaw Phaik Susan, a commercially-grown cut-flower hybrid, with
Ascocenda Udomchai from Thailand.

Fadelah said a hybrid could take up to five years-- from the day two plants
were crossed-- to flower...

"Malaysian orchids are popular the world over because of their colours.
The Japanese are fond of our white orchids, while Malaysians simply love
the bright-coloured variety.

"Almost 80 per cent of Malaysian orchids go through Singapore before they
are exported overseas because many Singaporeans have a share in our orchid
farms, especially the ones in Johor."   "

photo : [caption : "Vanda Tun Dr Siti Hasmah... has white, lavender, yellow
and pink flowers."]

http://www.nst.com.my/Sunday/National/2599701/insidepix1

Regards,

VB