[OGD] Re: Bragging rights (and selfing Oeceoclades)

Steve,

I have no real evidence that any of these work, but I've heard them.

1) Saliva as mentioned by others

2) Dip pollinia in orange juice then apply.

3) Pollinate with two applications per flower, one: its own pollen, two: some
other totally unrelated species that is genetically incompatible.

4) Pollinate with two applications per flower, one: its own pollen, two: some
other related species that is genetically compatible, but different enough that
the offspring in the flask will be obviously not the same species, but clearly
a hybrid -- then sort plants if any of the "self" pollen was successful.

3 & 4 presumably could work if the trouble is that a capsule won't stay on the
plant because the pollen isn't foreign enough. By "inspiring" the capsule to
say on, the self-pollen has a chance to grow into the ovary. This will NOT help
if the trouble is at the egg itself.

-Troy