[orchidhelp] Re: dead orchids

dead orchidsGood grief, Gary! I hope someone answers this.

Diana
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gareth Wills
  To: orchidhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 7:43 AM
  Subject: [orchidhelp] dead orchids

  I've had a strange angel of death pass over my greenhouse this past winter.
First, most of my Angraecums were killed over a period of about a month. This
included bosseri, distichum, eburneum superbum, elephantinum, leonis,
Longiscott 'H&R', magdalense 'Pauwela', scottianum, sesquipedale, and superbum.
All were good-sized plants last autumn some specimen-sized. Calceolus,
compactum, didieri, and eichlerianum survived in good health. Sesquipedale and
eburneum were massive plants in 12"clay pots for the last 5 years potted with
clay shards, charcoal chunks and 3-4" pieces of cork. The lower leaves
shriveled and dropped followed quickly by the next set and nothing I did
stopped the progression. The shriveled leaves were black but not at all moist.
The stem did the same. The compost was not degraded and the pots hadn't been
moved from their positions in several years. The survivors were potted in
wooden baskets while those that succumbed were in clay pots. No insects were
found.

  The others that were smote were the Broughtonias all various clones of
sanguine and were mounted on cork or fern. All except 3 were killed. The roots
dried up (not too unusual) but then so did the p-bulbs. Some were clumps 8
inches across. Now they didn't seem to be at their best at the end of last
summer, they hadn't grown much. The youngest mounts did the best. I've managed
to revive a couple starting over with a couple of bulbs. But most of the bulbs
were completely dehydrated. I always grow them with the vandas and have done
very well in the past.

  Anyone with some ideas as to what's happening here? No other plants seemed to
suffer in the gh this winter.

  Gary

  In South Carolina