  From: nancy
  To: orchidhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 5:06 PM
  Subject: [orchidhelp] Re: "Thai disease" aka Guignardia and Phyllosticta

        Not sure if I can attach a couple of photos, but I'll try. Info from
the St. Augustine Orchid Society's site (which has a truly excellent article on
pests and diseases, with gruesome photos) says, "The first signs of Guignardia
infection are tiny, dark purple, elongate lesions on either leaf surface. These
lesions run parallel to the veins and elongate into purple streaks or
diamond-shaped areas. spots often merge to form large irregular lesions that
may affect a large part of the leaf. With age, the center of the lesion turns
tan. Raised, black sporing bodies develop in the affected area. Affects mostly
Ascocentrumand Vandasand their hybrids and may indicate insufficient light.
This blight is also known as Phyllosticta; the names apply to two different
sexual stages of the same fungus."
        The mature fruiting bodies give the leaf a texture very much like an
emery board.
        I have been using Cleary's, among other potions. Was wondering if the
nail polish would actually help to save the leaf - it does seem to be
decreasing or absent in the newest foliage.
        Hurricanes bring this stuff, I swear. A couple of our society experts
diagnosed it as mites, which I treated for for years. Wasn't.
        Regards - Nancy

        "Humor is reason gone mad."
        -------- Groucho Marx