RE: with all this talk about RAC...

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:13:03 -0500

You wrote:

>>From my experience most of the RAC related issues comes with unskilled
DBAs managing the databases with their
>>experimental minds.

You cannot argue that the complexity of RAC can add to the operational
challenges of supporting Oracle.  Just think about what might happen if
you have an unskilled DBA walking into a site that already has your RAC
installation and has never supported such?  Even an unimaginative,
non-experimentally minded DBA will have problems with that one!

>>I have implemeted RAC in more than 20+ sites in various platforms and
different hardwares  and no one (so-far) has >>complained against RAC.
Needless to say for many of them the data/availability is the oxygen for
their business
>>(Most of them are Telecom and banking customers).

Have you polled each and every one of them to assure that not one has
experienced an unplanned outage?  With all the reports on this list, and
my experience with just starting up Oracle 7 OPS after a reboot taking
*** HOURS ***, I think we can safely assume at least one of them has had
to address an uptime issue we've disucssed on this list!

>>Now coming to the original question, I would recommend Linux Clusters
against Sun clusters. You may also want to >>use the OCFS (it is stable
now on Linux) and have a shared oracle home. IMHO RAC is stable and
proven.

Good that you mention the most currently stable environment.  This
actually implies there are/were issues, as have been discussed in prior
threads.