RE: windows host name length

  • From: "Cornio, Georgette P Ms CIV USA HQDA IMCOM" <georgette.cornio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:54:58 -0400

Reading some documentation

63 is the max length for windows names, may have some problems with DNS
systems

15 is recommended for backward compatibility with Win NT

All of our servers use 15 chars or less, some DOD standard thingy

On Oracle 8.1.7.4.1, the desc for v$instance length is 64

Our 15 char ones show perfectly well

Georgette P Cornio