windows database service not shutting down database on reboot

  • From: Joe Armstrong-Champ <joseph.armstrong-champ@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:46:26 -0400

We have about 10 windows servers, some w2k, some w2003 with 9i and 10g databases on them. When the server gets rebooted the database services don't get stopped and the instances crash. They always recover on startup and we have put a work-around in place but I'm curious about whether anyone else has experienced this problem. The following message appears in the oradim.log file when the problem happens:

ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed

My guess is that a process which the database uses to authenticate itself has stopped before the oracle service and that is why the authentication fails.

I have opened an sr but they are telling me to recreate the service using oradim locally, not remotely. I did this but when it didn't work they told me to apply the latest patchset and do it again. Since this is happening across different oracle and windows versions I have a feeling that it has nothing to do with the version.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.
Joe