Re: win32: veritas embedded ms sql server huge memory hog

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:25:18 -0400

On 9/13/05, Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are we confusing a bug with an architecture issue?
>  Personally, I don't put my cross-hairs on any product
> for bugs...only completely flawed architecture issues
> get my focused attention.
>  Sorry, I'm sure that was no help.

Kevin,

I take it that was a crack at win32 OSes. Point taken.
RHEL 4 ES would do quite nicely but that was not my call.

Thanks for your input, but what I believe that it is is along the lines of
... backup exec developer sets parameter in embedded database product to use
the process limit for ~sga_max_size.

The reason that this particularly irks me, is that I've already had to deal
with client site systems with 4 GB of physical mem, running as a single
purposed box supporting 2 smallish oracle databases having virtual memory
issues. I'm getting support calls for a mistake made by Veritas Backup Exec
staff.
You know the kind of support issue - "the system is slow".

There a monitoring app (java process) and the backup exec ms sql server
process (that was not even required) were using 2.5 GB of virtual memory.
This wasn't like Linux filesystem caching where the OS will give it back as
needed.

My point is that Veritas pushes out an update that resolved some serious
security issues ... and as a side effect we get denial of service issues
regarding memory allocation and system resource utilization.
I want the blame squarely placed upon the guilty party.

I haven't worked directly with backup exec since the 7.3 release.
I have no working relationship with their tech support, no one's email
address on the inside.
I just figured that if a dozen users send an email to their accounting
office requesting backcharging the vendor for 2 GB of physical memory that
the issue would hit Backup Exec's management much more quickly than an email
that gets forwarded to /dev/nul. Vendors HATE backcharges.

So if you're running Veritas Backup Exec v9.1, download a copy of
pslist.exefrom the
sysinternals.com <http://sysinternals.com> website and run it

C:\pstools> pslist -m sql

and see how much mem, vm its chewing up.

Its actually rare these days to see a tape device mounted to a server as a
single purpose, but some CFOs/controllers still like taking home a tape of
their accounting system database with them each week/night as a cheap form
of DR. According to a Computerworld article, there are still alot of
companies that can't get their tapes off of Iron Mountain down in LA.

back to the upgrade treadmill.

Paul

--
#/etc/init.d/init.cssd stop