when to use hugepages

  • From: "Bort, Guillermo" <guillermo.bort@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:30:17 -0500

Hi all,

  After the thread about hugepages a while ago I became interested in
them, and told the SA about them. He said it's viable in most of our
environments, so it now lies with me to decide where to use hugepages.
As I have no experience with this, I'd very much appreciate any pointers
as to how to decide whether to use hugepages or not in a given
environment. Also, if you know of a way to 'benchmark' de performance to
have something to show the customer (as the change would require some
downtime). I think it goes without saying that this will be tested in
(redundantly enough) testing and QA environments way before we even
consider trying it in pre-productive and productive environmets.

Thanks in advanced

Guillermo Alan Bort

DBA / DBA Main Team

EDS, an HP company