Re: what is the data dictionary?

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 21:44:42 +0200

Michael, thank you for the hint! it's something to start.
And you are right, I'm currently comparing european to african swallows:

here are the differences:

-- what swallows do we have:
select owner, object_type from dba_objects where object_name='DICTIONARY';

OWNER                          OBJECT_TYPE
------------------------------ -------------------
SYS                            VIEW
PUBLIC                         SYNONYM

-- how does it look like:
select text from dba_views where view_name='DICTIONARY';

TEXT
select o.name, c.comment$
from sys.obj$ o, sys.com$ c
where o.obj# = c.obj#(+)

-- the speed of one swallow

  select count(*) --o.name, c.comment$
  from sys.obj$ o, sys.com$ c
  where o.obj# = c.obj#(+);

COUNT(*)--O.NAME,C.COMMENT$
---------------------------
                      66902

-- the other swallow

select count(*) from sys.dictionary;

  COUNT(*)
      1881

now the question is: which one is the blue one?
(I'm checking execution plans right now, and they are slightly different)

welcome to the ornithology ;-)
 Martin

--
Martin Berger           martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx
Lederergasse 27/2/14           +43 660 660 83306