weird behaviour for mreadtim < sreadtim in 10g

  • From: amit poddar <amit.poddar@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:38:39 -0400

Hi,

I am struggling with a query performance issue which brought me to this quandary about calculation of cost of full table scans when system stats are enabled

Database Version: 10.2.0.2

Here are the details

Num Blocks in the table:  91872

mbrc  6

Mreadtim         Sreadtim           Cost

1.1 3 91864
1.3 3 91864
1.8 3 91864
2.8 3 91864
3.05 3 15569 (approximately = 91872/mbrc)

My question is what calculation 10g is using for calculating FTS cost when mreadtim < sreadtim.

Because in 9i when mreadtim < sreadtim oracle seems to ignore the system stats and calculates FTS cost as approximately (num_blocks/5.6) (since db_file_multiblock_read_count is 8)

But 10.2 is behaving differently.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks
amit