Re: "wait for scn from all nodes" wait in RAC

Amir:

What is the value of the MPCD settings? The scn propagation algorithms
are based on the max_commit_propagation_delay parameter and the values
are platform dependent. And from your  wait I assume you have set the
MCPD is <>700 cs and you may be using 'broadcast on commit' method for
SCN propagation across the nodes.

In Broadcast SCN method, on every commit we propagate the SCN to all
the nodes, before writing the redo, we wait for the response from all
the nodes and then complete the redo. And all the processes will have
to wait till we write the redo to the disk. THis is synchronous in 9i.

There are some enhancements in 10g on this area and the log writing
process is asynchronous to SCN propagation. This is controlled by
_lgwr_async_broadcasts parameter which defaults to true. In this case,
if we receive any SCN > commit SCN we don't need to broadcast (and
wait ) our SCN.

--

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan