Re: vmstat output to db

I've done this in the past, but lost the script. It used a named
pipe/FIFO to write to, and SQL*Plus was sitting and reading at the other
end of the pipe. I think SQL*Plus can be  replaced by SQL*Loader, and
SQL*Loader can read from the pipe as well. Skipping the first 3 lines is
possible as well, then. I can elaborate on this later, if you like.
I used an 'administration database', sitting on a central DBA-server, to
gather statistics from several machines. That saves at least your
production database from suffering from all the unique SQL.

Regards, Carel-Jan

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 08:12, Jared Still wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 17:37, zhu chao wrote:
> > There is a problem running thhis script in production.
> > As every SQL is unique , you will get a lot of literal SQL in your
> > production database, using all your shared pool.
> >
> > Consider let vmstat write to a logfile, and use sqlldr to load it
> > database every day, or, maybe every hour.
> >

> Another solution would be to do this in perl, with bind variables.
>
> It would be a bit less resource intensive as well.
>
> Jared

DBA!ert, Independent Oracle consultancy
Kastanjelaan 61C
2743 BX  Waddinxveen