utl_smtp issues

  • From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:23:11 -0500

Oracle: 10.1.0.3
OS: Solaris 64 bit

We have used utl_smtp for emailing for years. Now all of a sudden on some of
our servers, mail is not being sent when we use utl_smtp. Nothing in the
datbase has changed. mailx on the unix server works fine.

What does utl_smtp do under the cover to send mail? I am assuming it makes
some OS calls to send mail? There was probably some OS/network change or
something. However, it is easier to track down if someone can help me figure
out what utl_smtp does under the covers.

it does  not appear to use mailx since mailx still works.