Re: utl_file_dir

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edwin_kodamala@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:23:24 -0700

Chris gave good advice, you may want to investigate just using DIRECTORY
objects.

Much simpler, easier to manage, no database bounce required.

On 9/27/06, edwin devadanam <edwin_kodamala@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Chris, Thanks for the update. But my question is how many number of files can mentioned for utl_file_dir and not the size of each file. is there limit for number of files?(not size) is it unlimited number of files?(not size)

Thanks,
Edwin.K

*Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>* wrote:

Edwin

> what is maximum number of directories can be specified under
> utl_file_dir?
> is this unlimited? or say 100 or 200 files are son on?
> i have searched metalink but no where it is specified!

The limitation is the size: 512 bytes.

If you are in 9.2 or higher it is better to use DIRECTORY objects
instead. With them you don't have this limitation and in addition you
can correctly manage security.

HTH Chris -- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
rates.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman8/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com>

--
Jared Still