Re: using set role command in a logon trigger -- got something implemented - now security question

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjamya <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 07:34:42 -0600

That's why I said it depends on how sys_context determines the user's environment module name. If it's simply by program name then it is obviously very easy as I demonstrated. If it is by the application module name then it may be more difficult but probably not impossible. Whatever the application is doing to establish its sys_context one can likely fake. The biggest hurdle (for a would-by hacker) is probably to find out what it is that needs to be faked.

At 05:19 AM 4/13/2007, rjamya wrote:
Wolfgang,

true, but remember, the logon trigger will fire after you login and before you get your prompt back to issue the exec dbms_application_info command.

Laura,

if you are that worried, revoke dbms_application_info from public and grant it at the end of the trigger. Spoofing will require user to execute some code, which obviously cannot be done until login process is complete.

Am I missing anything?
rjamya

On 4/12/07, Wolfgang Breitling <<mailto:breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am getting out on a limb here to say "most likely yes". How
difficult it is depends to some degree on how your sys_context
determines "the users environment module name".

Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation
www.centrexcc.com