Re: using pipe to export oracle on windows platform

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:49:57 -0700

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:17:06 +0800, zhu chao <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    As windows does not support pipe like we do in unix: mknod exp.pipe
> p; gzip <exp.pipe >dmp.gz & and run exp. I tried cygwin. But seems
> gzip simply do not do anything there. Anyone tried using pipe on
> windows/cygwin? Or is there similar workaround?

Sorry, no can do.

It has to do with the Win32 stdlib being sorely deficient, and
that is what Oracle is compiled with.

Win32 has a wonderful PIPE implementation, but no access
to it from the command line.

The only Win32 tool that has pipe access is SQL*Loader,
and that is rather limited.

Things to consider:

*) Write your own set of scripts to do multiple simultaneous exports.

*) Write your own utility to dump to a PIPE, Perl or C would work.
Not having tried this, I don't know if it is a pipe that can be read
remotely.

*) Investigate the use of netcat.  It may make this possible.  It
deals with remote pipes.

--
Jared Still