RE: uptime

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:08:17 -0500 (CDT)

Chris writes:

> With windows you can force the memory back to the system - not sure why it
> doesn't do this automatically as Linux appears to do.
>
> There's a few tools that I have used for this *however* I'm not sure it
> would work in the scenario you are describing.

Interesting!  I may have to check those out!  This particular system is
constrained to 32-bit until we can upgrade, which requires a rewrite of our
ETL scripts.  I've read that 64-bit versions of Winders still suffers from
the same PTE issues, but that it's not noticeable due to the vast increase
in pool size for 64-bit.

> Regarding apps, I thought that is what we were talking about :)

Any app can have leaky code (except the ones *I* write, of course), so I was
looking at this in how the OS can deal with it.  If those tools can help,
that could go a long way in keeping our apps available until upgrade.

Thanks Chris!

Rich