update a 200 - 300 row table

  • From: Tony Adolph <tony.adolph.dba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle Discussion List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gary.northfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx, richard.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:06:39 +1200

Env:

Server Oracle 10.2.0.4
Client - Windows, no oracle client, ODBC connection to server

Problem:

My client has a requirement to install *something* on a windows client that
will used by a not-so-techie manager to
allow him/her (if in the USA please read just "her" (LoL)) to update a 200 -
300 row table.

The table will not be frequently updated, perhaps only 2-3 rows a week and
mostly just adding a new row.

I've been asked not to install any "software" as such, but instead an exe to
allow him/her to make these updates.

I realise that the last sentence is pretty ambiguous, but what is meant (I
believe and will confirm) is that I'm not
to install things like Oracle Client, MS Access etc, but instead a tool that
will provide simple (GUI if poss) access to this
one table and nothing else.

My initial thought is to knock up a simple perl/DBI script that runs in a
cmd tool.
Simple, no thrills.  I could create a pre-configured (ODBC connection
details) exe from the perl script and
deliver that.

But the perl exe is unlikely to look too good, and although it may well tick
all the boxes from a functional perspective I'd prefer to deliver something
a little more "flash". So I could spend some looking into Perl/Tk (which
I've not used before) to create a nice GUI.  How hard would that be (I have
done a lot of perl progamming) .   Thoughts?  Anyone point me in the
direction of a template I could use?  Or doco?

My other thought is to provide a web page.  But this would need to be
installed on the server (wouldn't it?)
A cgi script?  I think that this wouldn't be a go-er if code had to be
installed on the server though.

Any pointers much appreciated

Regards
Tony