Re: unicode character set

  • From: "Alberto Dell'Era" <alberto.dellera@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 00:37:49 +0200

It depends on the characters (languages) you have to store.

If you need to support English only, AL32UTF8 is the best choice,
since each char will use exactly 1 byte.

For most Western European languages, AL32UTF8 as well, for example
in Italian we have
1) 95% of chars are the same as English, so they take 1 byte
2) 4.99% are accented chars, they take 2 bytes
3) 0.01% is EURO currency symbol, it takes 3 bytes

Do read the Globalization Support Guide, especially
the chapter "Supporting Multilingual Databases with Unicode".

Don't use the legacy UTF8, it has been replaced by AL32UT8.

HTH
Alberto

On 5/4/07, genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Everybody:

How do I pick a unicode character set? I need to build a new database and
the vendor's requirement is a unicode char set. There are several unicode
character sets. How do I decide on which one to use? Are there any
rules/criteria?

thank you

Gene Gurevich

Alberto Dell'Era