Re: unexpected heavy buffered IO during partition bitmap index rebuild

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle List List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:58:12 +0100

Mark,

That's certainly a possibility - COMPRESS creates data with pctfree 0 by
default, so almost any update will cause migration.
However, to get 6.7M random I/Os in 19M rows my initial thought was perhaps
the data load does something like:
    insert a batch of row stubs
    update
    update
    update
    update

This type of behaviour could produce a large number of very short rows in a
block, then migrate a large fraction of them (in this case some 30%) out of
the block

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all_postings