Re: understanding orphaned processes (v$process > v$session)

Ratnesh,

I too have seen this condition. I'm not sure I understand the
client side mechanics, but from a server perspective, a process
is created when an attempt to connect to the database is made,
but a session is only created when the connection is actually
made.

sqlplus /nolog <--- creates a process
connect scott/tiger <----- actually creates a session for the
process

We found that a particular app server was creating processes,
but not sessions. It appeared that the username/password was not
correct, but the app server was not disconnecting from the
database, so the number of processes continued to climb, even
though very few new sessions were being created. We contacted
the app support team and they corrected the login. The problem
then disappeared.

Daniel