Re: two instance -- one database

Just call it the "DBA Employment Act of 2008", because it does nothing but add complexity and workload to the DBA, while doing absolutely nothing to accomplish its stated purpose.  It would be interesting to hear exactly how they expect this configuration would offer any "protection".

The "data team" might instead focus on modeling the data correctly to prevent bad queries, perhaps?  In psychology, I think this is called projection... ;-)

Brady, Mark wrote:
I have a friend (no really, this isn’t some lame way of telling you about me but trying to hide that by … )

I have a friend, and at his company they have an Oracle database with tables and data. We’ll call it Database A and they have another Database B that has views across dblinks to each of the tables in Database A. The data team says that this protects Database A from bad queries.

So can anyone think of any possible benefit from this arrangement? Will administration be easier, queries faster, performance more predictable? Anything?