Re: tunning an index build

  • From: "Alexander Fatkulin" <afatkulin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:10:23 -0400

Do you use those 1.5G through pga_aggregate_traget?

If so, try to use more memory by switching your session to
workarea_size_policy=manual and dedicating as much to sort_area_size
as you can.

Make sure you spent enough time on temp I/O before doing that.

On 7/17/07, genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all:

I think I have posted on this issue before, but I can't find my old Emails
so - sorry for the repeated question.
Here is the situation.  I am running oracle 9208 and have a 40G table with
a lot of indices  - mostly bitmap
Their sizes are under 1G. These indices take about 20 to 30 minutes to
build. That seems to be too long.
I have just waited for 24 minutes to build a 82M index. The index is
parallelized 4 way, the table is
parallelized 6 ways. I have 2G sga and 1.5G pga. I do see a lot of IO waits
(via vmstat) and I have UNIX
team looking into that. I think I have plenty of memory and the parallelizm
should be enough for a small index.

Any thoughts on what else I should look at?

thank you

Gene Gurevich

Alex Fatkulin,
The Pythian Group,