Re: truncate a table with many extents

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 04:49:36 +0100 (BST)

I think that's a recent addition though.  I remeber an OakTable discussion
about this when we were
testing 'drop' on lmt's in 8 and 9.0, the tsq$ update occurred for every extent
dropped, and this
was enhanced in 9.2 to be just once at the end of the drop

Cheers
Connor

 --- Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >
> I think this is one that probably requires testing
> for every platform and version of Oracle.
>
> I've just run a quick test on 9.2.0.4 with 169 extents
> in an LMT Uniform sized.
>
> The most significant difference is that the TRUNCATE
> updated tsq$ once per extent removed, DROP updated
> tsq$ once at the end.  On the other hand, the DROP
> command triggered various other (mostly small) actions,
> including a call to a procedure called aw_drop_proc.
>
> The most significant difference, though, was the handling
> of tsq$, and it made the truncate much more expensive
> in undo and redo.
>
> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewis

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"
ISBN: 1590592174

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"