Re: truncate a table with many extents

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 02:00:29 +0100 (BST)

Slap a trace on and see how frequently you're getting uet/fet operations and
you might get an
idea.

For future such operations, a common technique is (iirc) along the lines of:

- truncate reuse storage
loop
 - alter table X deallocate unused keep nnn
end loop

so you can free the extents in a more incremental and controlled fashion

hth
connor

 --- "Adams, Matthew (GE Consumer & Industrial)" <MATT.ADAMS@xxxxxx> wrote: >
I'm truncating a
table with around 14,000 extents
> on a 7.3.4 database on a slow machine.
> (Please don't ask how this happened, it's too=20
> painful to re-live.)
>
> Is there anyway to determine how far the truncate
> has gotten at any given point?  I thought I might see
> changes in sys.fet$ or sys.uet$ as extents are de-allocated,
> but I'm not seeing that.

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"
ISBN: 1590592174

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"