From: "Norman Dunbar" <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <malcolmarnold@xxxxxxxxx>; <adolph.tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 12:54 PM
Subject: Re: trigger question

> Morning Tony,
>
> Hmm, seems I'm a bit thicker than at first thought!
> When I wrote this originally :
>
> exception
>  when dup_entry_exception then
>   raise_application_error(-20000,
>    NULL;
>

> I really meant this :
>
> exception
>  when dup_entry_exception then
>      NULL;
>
> This version causes the duplicate to be ignored. However, as dicovered
> by malcolm, this would allow the duplicate row to be inserted and is no
> use to you !
>
> More apologies !
>

> Cheers,
> Norman.
>
> Norman Dunbar.
> Contract Oracle DBA.
> Rivers House, Leeds.
>
> Internal : 7 28 2051
> External : 0113 231 2051
>

> Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the
sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

> We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.

> We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to
under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.
Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency
address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient,
for business purposes.

> If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our
terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find
out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk