Re: ** trace file

Mathias,

   Thanks. I tried
> tracefile.trc
as suggested by Franck Pachot. The file size comes down to 0. However, when I
do :

oradebug setospid 400

oradebug unlimit

oradebug event 10046 trace name context forever , level 12

It does not write to the file at all. I do need this to work. We have
lot of processes that run long. They do different processing : going to
one table then to other and doing different sql, update and I would
like to get the trace different. There are also some changes to the
data and amount of processing so I need to do this from time to time.
At one point I forgot to do

oradebug event 10046 trace name context  off

after five minutes and it created a huge trace file and I could not
work with it. It is difficult to upload big files to oracle support
metalink. I have done compress or done ftp to oracle site sometimes. So
it is different scenario but my requirement is same : I would like to
have a different trace file or have a way to reduce the size of the
trace file. Without running the risk of no trace being written to it.
It is much worse if nothing gets written to it. Thanks

From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mathias.magnusson@xxxxxxxxx

Cc: ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, April 20, 2009, 4:37 PM

Don't know if this helps, but be aware of ORADEBUG FLUSH and ORADEBUG
CLOSE_FILE as well.  Might help with flushing remaining buffered output
to the trace file, then closing the file-descriptor to the file.  Both
may help you move the file without weirdness due to open
file-descriptors....

Mathias Magnusson wrote:

  How do you empty the file? If that would be a solution for you,
maybe the problem of not getting more data into it can be solved. It
sounds to me as if the filename you use exists on a different inode as
a result of the operation. Oracle would write to the inode it started
writing to no matter what you do to the file. So if you empty it and
the inode remains the same, I'd imagine new data would still show up in
the file.

Mathias

          I also cannot remove the file or empty the
trace file. Because after that nothing goes into the file. Thanks