Re: testenvironment aix or Linux

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ldutra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:26:51 +0000

On 08/12/2005 09:49:31 AM, Leandro Guimaraes Faria C. Dutra wrote:

>         While I will make a point of answering your doubts, your attitude
> is so negative I doubt you really want to learn anything.

Oh, trust me, I do. I'm doing nothing but learning things, that is my forte.
I'm only negative when people are trying to make a believer out of me. In
addition to that, if I were you, I would refrain from making personal comments
about people you don't know anything about.

> Besides, if you
> really wanted you'd checked this information by yourself, because the
> community is very open and well documented.  Everything I told you besides
> the reason of the SPI-FSF split is public knowledge, and Debian even links
> to consultants and vendors .

Good for them.

> > >         That just shows how little you know about Debian -- or how
> > > dependent you are on Oracle.
>
> > I am an Oracle DBA. I use Oracle to pay the bills.
>
>         So am I, but I like to know something else.

Like Debian? As it is hardly used in the commercial environment, I don't see
the point. Personally, I am more into honing my Perl and PHP skills. They are
much more valued in the job market.

> > Yes, I am dependent upon it. I used to
> > depend on VAX/VMS but since the demise of DEC, I am using various
> > versions of Unix: SCO,
> > AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and Linux. My favorite one is HP-UX.
>
>         Really?  Why?

Because it seldomly created any problems. The thing with HP-UX is that it just
works.
The only Unix machine that I ever saw returning "934" when uptime command was
executed
was gospuk1.telstra.com (I was working for the company named Telstra at the
time. This
revelation will make our resident Aussies hate me). Needless to say, it was an
HP-UX
HP-9000 box.

> > I don't know much about Debian.
> > They haven't motivated me to learn it, so I am blissfully ignorant
> > of them. I prefer it to stay that way.
>
>         So why make a point of speaking about what you do not know?

I didn't start the fire, it was always burning , since the world's been turning.
In other words, you were the one to start pushing Debian. Debian faithful are
like
Jehova's witnesses, fanatically devoted to their little cult and hard to get
rid of.

> > One of the two most popular RPM distros. No medal for the second place.
>
>         HP-UX is the second or third more popular Unix, yet you like it
> better.

I like it the best, but not for the popularity reasons. Computer market is not
always a popularity contest. HP-UX is miss congeniality. I am not mister
congeniality,
but I will work for the world peace and will try preventing hunger and helping
the poor
and underprivileged.

> > b) That ALSA is the way to go and that I should use ALSA and forget
> > my application, the one that I have paid for.
>
>         That is precisely the point.  When you run proprietary software on
> GNU/Linux, you are on your own -- actually your proprietary vendor has to
> support you.  OSS is just such a vendor, like Oracle.  If they support
> SuSE, use their support.

Eh, but the problem was located and they were supposed to answer my question.
They refused to do so. They were treated accordingly.

> > I could hear his face redden over the phone. Needless to say, I will
> > never use SuSE again.
>
>         I am not a SuSE fan, but I do think you were in the wrong here.  I
> wouldn't trust you after what you revealed about yourself in this thread.

My trustworthiness was not the problem here. My temper was. I tend to be
extremely
short-tempered when in contact with pricks or idiots. Again, please refrain from
making personal comments here. Believe it or not, I can make personal comments
and use pop-psychology with the best of them, but this is hardly the place for
such form of entertainment. BTW, you'd probably dislike me even more if I
described
you the treatment I gave to Jehova's witnesses that woke me up two months ago.
I didn't
know that they can run so fast.

--
Mladen Gogala