RE: table partitions and views

  • From: "Jeremiah Wilton" <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Michael.Coll-Barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:51:46 -0800

Michael.Coll-Barth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> ...I have two scheams with numerous tables, each with partitions based on
> a date.  The second parition starts with this year's data for a new group
> that was formed.  I'd like to make queries automagically pull data from
> a table in the original schema if the query uses a date prior to the
> start of the year.

Strictly speaking, the way to do this within the relational model would have
been to add a column to the partitioned table for "group" (whatever that is)
rather than create a new schema.

I suppose you could create a union all view across the two tables.

Or maybe this is logic more appropriately handled within the application.

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net