sys vs. "normal" User

  • From: "Jost," Jörg <Joerg.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:52:26 +0200

Hello List,

as often, there is a discussion between our developers and me, the
dba ;-)

Our application connects to Oracle via SQLNet as a normal User. Every
application client connects as the same user, so there are many
connections with the same username in v$session.

At some important points this application locks rows with dbms_lock.

The lockname is the rowid of the row. Sometimes an evil user stays
forever at this row and other users are unable to change it.

This case in mind, i have written a small procedure, which get the
Primary Key of the locked rows and shows it via dbms_output.

Because of the Tables/Views i need to query, this procedure belongs to
SYS.

My question is, is there something bad to install procedures as sys and
grant the procedure to the application user? Is there a "Dogma" that
says, never create or install self written packages as sys?

Should i grant select on the underlying Tables/Views instead?

The Objects i query are:

dbms_lock_allocated
dba_locks
v$session

Also this objects, which are no problem because they exists also for the
normal user:

dba_cons_columns
dba_constraints
dba_objects