Re: symlinks/OUI

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stellr@xxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:12:31 +0800

Which part of "/opt/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/stubs" is a symlink ?

I have used symlinks for ORACLE_BASE,  ORACLE_HOME and even
$ORACLE_HOME/lib , $ORACLE_HOME/javavm and $ORACLE_HOME/starterdb
{not sure if I've moved $ORACLE_HOME/bin}

In my opinion, Oracle not working with symlinks is an urban legend,
even propagated by MetaLink.  A symlink is managed by the Unix filesystem.
"oracle" is only a user trying to access a  file through the symlink.

The places where you can have issues are
tar/cpio/cp -r  commands which follow symlinks and copy the whole directories.

Oracle itself uses links.
$ORACLE_HOME/JRE is a link to the OUI jre which I put under $ORACLE_BASE
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/runInstaller is a link to to the runInstaller under $ORACLE_BASE/oui

At 03:42 AM Thursday, Ray Stell wrote:
I discovered I had a corrupted oraInventory.  I was not able to install
or delete software.   Somewhere in the discussion with ora support the
analyst said, "OUI doesn't handle symlinks well," suggesting that my
use of a symlink to oracle_home may have caused the corruption.

I did find things like this in oraInventory/logs/oraInstallxxx.err:

Ignoring Exception during de-installoracle.sysman.oii.oiil.OiilDeinstallException:
Unable to delete file /opt/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/stubs/libc.so

and sure enough, this directory structure here is a symlink."

Is this documented?

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l