Re: symlinks/OUI

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pass, Stephanie" <Stephanie_Pass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:20:01 -0500

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 12:50:59PM -0700, Pass, Stephanie wrote:
> would walk away.  Sym links can be a good thing if you are careful.  We

define careful.  When is good use to refer to ORACLE_HOME with a symlink
and when is it not?  I'm sure I've used them without trouble in the past,
but I can't prove it at this moment.

> use them frequently.
> We tried installing 10r2 OEM and it aborted due to our sym links.

Did it abort cleanly with warnings about the symlink or did it crash?
If it gave warnings that's a good thing.  9.2.x here and OUI does not
complain when I point to the software with a symlink, it just corrupts
under some circumstances, apparently.

> https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=200:27:126792149666654937
> 82::::p27_id,p27_show_header,p27_show_help:617811.992,1,1

I don't consider this documentation.  I guess the install doc implies
that real mount points should be used since it says to create the
mount points:

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/html/A96167_01/pre.htm#i1076681
The Oracle9i installation requires at least two mount points:
    * one for the software
    * one or more for the database files

I think they should give an explicit warning here if OUI can get
so ugly.  I got lazy and learned the hard way.  Thought I'd share
the wealth.  Here Be Dragons.