Re: support on 10G R2

  • From: Allan Nelson <anelson77388@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:59:55 -0600

We are on Oracle E-Business suite and so we have seen the other side of
lifetime support:

1. Don't find any new bugs, Oracle will not be patching them
2. Don't stop on the wrong version of apps because not every apps version
will have the same upgrade options.  (11.5.9.2 and 11.5.10.2 support an
upgrade to 10gR2, but if you are on 11.5.10.1 you are stuck with 10gR1)
3. Lots of patches for E-Business suite are not back ported.  So you wind up
doing an E-Business suite upgrade to get rid of performance or function
bugs.  Not a small thing.

So at best for us the Oracle lifetime support policy has been of strictly
limited utility.

Allan Nelson