RE: strategies for optimizing 'like' operations

  • From: Oxnard Montalvo <oxnard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris_stephens@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 10:52:43 -0400

 This idea depends on your data. In my situation it worked due to the layout of
data and knowning the questions which would be asked. So it may not work for
you.

In my case most of the data has some number of leading zeros and is always 16
bytes long. so I pre-figured the cardinality for the cases and placed it into
the query using the cardinality hint. The predicates the users would leave off
the leading zeros. This worked well for us.

A much more generic solution is to use Oracle Text, but of course that's not
much good in an online system.

Ox