strange sqlplus and oracle connection issues

  • From: "Dba DBA" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:12:32 -0500

Windows Server 2003
Oracle Standard 10.2.0.1

Development use. No support. So no patches...  can't do anything about it. I
have an enterprise edition installed with a newer patch set on another
server, but i have not moved data over to it yet. They build stuff for other
people and the customers have the production support, etc...

1. I am trying to describe tables and it hangs on the describe
2. I try to describe a large 10gb table and i get an "end of file
communication" and i lose connection
3. I try to query this 10gb table which I was able to do 3 days ago and get
the first 5 rows and it hangs and runs for 1 hour before I kill it. The
table should not be fragmented. I have not touched it since the last time I
looked at it
4. I can get the describe to work on #1 if i run it directly from the
server.

any idea where I can look on this?