Re: statistics_level=ALL slows query 10x.

Josh,

As Greg pointed out, it's almost always a good idea to set
statistics_level only at session level for the session that needs it. If
you can't inject "alter session" into a session, consider a logon trigger.

You may only need the extended plan statistics for SQL tuning purposes,
not everything else implicitly enabled by setting statistics_level to all.
(Most of those "side effects" of setting it to all are shown in part II
and appendix II of
http://yong321.freeshell.org/computer/ParameterDependencyAndStatistics.doc)

I don't know how to explain why setting statistics_level to all eliminates
recursive calls. Is it reproducible, with mixed order of setting the
parameter to typical and all?

Yong Huang