Re: sqlplus shutdown "time-out"

  • From: jungwolf <spatenau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vitalisman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:21:56 -0500

On 4/20/05, Vitalis <vitalisman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Regarding my original script (used with 9i instances on Unix):
> shutdown immediate
> startup
> shutdown immediate
> startup mount
> instance has crashed. I wrote this first shutdown so that it would
> completely close a "half-crashed" instance. Then hopefully the startup
> would proceed without any problem.
> Of course this approach is not suitable for production databases
> (offline backups should be avoided on production databases in the
> first place!)
>=20
> Question: Is this "half-crashed" instance scenario plausible (with
> regard of PMON, SMON...)?

Sure, I've seen database processes hanging around after a crash.  You
might even be able to "connect", but as soon as you try anything it
shuts the connection.  Unfortunately, I've also noticed that a
"shutdown immediate" usually hangs when the database is in this state.

Since this is not production, how about the venerable "shutdown abort;
startup; shutdown immediate" process?

Steven

p.s.
As a side note, why do you say offline backups should be avoided on
PROD DBs?  If the downtime window is available, I don't see the
problem (although just because one can doesn't mean one should).=20
Certain business requirements might even mandate a cold backup
(archival reasons, copies of DB to satellite offices for research,
etc).