RE: spool to symbol in vms

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx>
  • To: <Ron.Reidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <barb.baker@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:54:09 -0500

Not exactly like Unix (better!)...

Instead of spooling to a symbol, spool to a logical.  I know this works
(or did in Oracle8 on VMS), as I used to use it with a DCL CGI script I
made to produce graphs from data in Oracle tables.  But I don't know how
Oracle will treat the filename as part of the logical.  Try something
like this:

  $ val_sid = f$trnlnm("ora_sid")
  $!
  $ sho sym val_sid
  $!   tmp = "tmp_"+"''val_sid'"+".txt"
  $!   sho sym tmp
  $   define tmp "tmp_''val_sid'.txt"
  $ sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
     spool tmp
     select '$ STOP/IDENTIFICATION=' || p.spid proc_id from v$session s,
v$process
. . . . .

If that doesn't work as you expect, you could also try to append a colon
onto the spool command ("spool tmp:").  Like I said, I'm not sure how
Oracle will deal with the filename in the logical.  It's been awhile!

Let us know if that works.  GL!

Rich