Re: sort order on VIEWs ?

  • From: Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: michaeljmoore@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 23:06:05 +0300

You might want to read this ask tom page:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:3229251700346962181

"You can create a view with an order by - any select against the view would
return the data sorted..

HOWEVER, a query that joins that view or references another table in fact,
might not be 'sorted' anymore.

So, you can create a view, applications would use the view not the table -
but you would have to bear in mind that if they use more than just the view
- the results might not be sorted, they might be sorted - it depends on the
plan we decide to use."

Harel Safra